Enhance your Science content instruction with the SIOP® Model and transform the academic English and science skills of your English learners.
Based on the best-selling resource, Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP® Model by acclaimed authors Jana Echevarria, MaryEllen Vogt, and Deborah Short; teachers, coaches, and intervention teachers have access to research-based, SIOP®-tested techniques for lessons specifically for the science classroom. This highly anticipated book, The SIOP® Model for Teaching Science to English Learners addresses the issues faced in teaching science to English learners (ELs) at each grade-level. SIOP® techniques and activities organized around the eight SIOP® components guide educators in promoting academic language development along with comprehensible scientific content.
Written for SIOP® teachers and those who have learned the SIOP® Model, this book includes proven, effective science lessons and comprehensive units. In addition, this book provides ideas to adapt the techniques for students at different levels of English proficiency. This book is sure to become an indispensable resource for science educators of English learners.
· Presents a systematic process for teaching both the academic content of science and its associated academic language to English learners.
· Offers ideas and activities about teaching science and organizes activities by grade-bands—K-2, 3-5 (or 6), 6-8, and 9-12 and SIOP® components.
· Provides use-tomorrow ideas and activities for implementing the eight components of the SIOP® Model in a science classroom.
· Includes lesson plans and comprehensive units that illustrate how a particular activity can be effective for ALL students, not just English learners.
· Create the ideal SIOP® classroom with other resources from the SIOP® Model Series: 99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP® Model; Implementing the SIOP® Model through Effective Coaching and Professional Development; The SIOP® Model for Administrators; Making Content Comprehensible for Elementary English Learners; and Making Content Comprehensible for Secondary English Learners; The SIOP® Model for Teaching Math to English Learners; The SIOP® Model for Teaching Social Studies to English Learners; and The SIOP® Model for Teaching Science to English Learners (all published by Pearson)
For more information on related SIOP® events and professional learning, visit siop.pearson.com