Features and Benefits
New to This Edition
Personalize learning with MyMathLab
MyMathLab® is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to engage students and improve results. Within its structured environment, students practice what they learn, test their understanding, and pursue a personalized study plan that helps them absorb course material and understand difficult concepts.
- Updated! Martin-Gay’s video program has been updated and expanded and includes assignable video check questions, new Getting Ready for the Test videos for each chapter, and an increased number of watch clips at the exercise level to help students while doing homework in MyMathLab. All videos are presented by Elayn Martin-Gay to ensure 100% consistency with the text, and are available in both MyMathLab® and on the Interactive DVD Lecture Series. The following types of videos are available:
- NEW! Getting Ready for the Test videos can be found before each Chapter Test. Before each Chapter Test, there are exercises that help check student’s conceptual understanding of the topics in the chapter as well as help them focus in on and avoid common errors. It is suggested that students complete and check these exercises before taking a practice Chapter Test. All exercises are either Multiple Choice or Matching, and all answers can be found in the answer section of this text. With these new videos:
- Video Solutions of all Getting Ready for the Test exercises can be found in MyMathLab and on the Interactive DVD Lecture Series. These video solutions contain brief explanations and reminders of material in the chapter. Where applicable, incorrect choices contain explanations.
- Getting Ready for the Test exercise numbers, marked in blue, indicate that the question is available in Learning Catalytics.
- NEW! Student Success Tips videos are 3–5 minute segments, designed to be daily reminders to keep practicing effective organizational and study habits. These are organized into three categories:
- Success Tips that apply to any high school course, such as Time Management.
- Success Tips that apply to any mathematics course, such as understanding that math requires homework to be completed in a timely fashion, as concepts build on previously learned material.
- Section or Content-specific Success Tips to help students avoid common mistakes or understand challenging concepts, such as applying the order of operations to simplify an expression.
- NEW! Learning Catalytics Questions: MyMathLab now provides Learning Catalytics™—an interactive, student response tool that uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more sophisticated tasks and thinking. You can use the built-in questions or make your own!
- NEW! Getting Ready for the Test exercises are included at the end of each chapter before the chapter test. Exercise numbers in blue are available in Learning Catalytics. These are also noted in the Annotated Instructor’s Edition.
- NEW! Key Concept and Activity Lab Workbook is a great way to engage students in conceptual projects and exploration, as well as group work. The Workbook includes Extension Exercises, Exploration Activities, Conceptual Exercises, and Group Activities.
New and updated features in the textbook
- NEW! Getting Ready for the Test exercises give students another way to prepare for the test by checking their conceptual understanding and preventing common errors. These appear before each Chapter Test; all exercises are either multiple choice or matching, with answers available in the back of the text.