Problem Solving Experiences is an effective way of ensuring that students have adequate and appropriate practice in problem solving and critical thinking. Often times when a student struggles with word problems it is because of the computation involved not because they lacked the ability to solve the problem. With Problem Solving Experiences’ unique approach students learn how to solve problems using math skills and content they have already mastered. And with support that gradually decreases as students become more proficient, they become independent problem solvers.
With Problem Solving Experiences, your elementary teachers can now:
• Put the focus on problem solving by building on math concepts and skills that students have already encountered.
• Develop independent problem-solvers with support that gradually decreases as students become more independent.
• Build proficiency in using problem-solving skills through practice.
• Prepare students to succeed on state tests with practice that uses question formats found on standardized tests.
• Promote algebraic thinking with problems designed to build skills in this key math strand.
• Enhance instruction with a flexible program that can be used to supplement any core math program, in a summer school or enrichment program, or as a stand-alone program in your classroom.