Features and Benefits
Our Guiding Principles
Our key objective in creating Campbell BIOLOGY IN FOCUS, AP Edition, was to produce a shorter text by streamlining selected material, while emphasizing conceptual understanding and maintaining clarity, proper pacing, and rigor. Here, briefly, are the five guiding principles of our approach:
1. Focus on Core Concepts
We developed this text to help AP students master the fundamental content and scientific skills necessary for success on the AP Exam. In structuring the text, we were guided by discussions with biology professors across the country, analysis of hundreds of syllabi, study of the debates in the literature of scientific pedagogy, and our experience as instructors at a range of institutions. The result is a briefer book, crafted to address the AP Biology curriculum, that informs, engages, and inspires.
2. Establish Evolution as the Foundation of Biology
Evolution is the central theme of all biology, and it is the core theme of this text, as exemplified by the various ways that evolution is integrated into the text:
- Every chapter explicitly addresses the topic of evolution through an Evolution section that leads students to consider the material in the context of natural selection and adaptation.
- Each Chapter Review includes a Connect to Big Idea 1 Question that asks students to think critically about how an aspect of the chapter relates to evolution.
- Evolution is the unifying idea of Chapter 1, Introduction: Evolution and the Foundations of Biology, which devotes Concept 1.2 to the core theme of evolution, providing students with a foundation in evolution early in their study.
- Following the in-depth coverage of evolutionary mechanisms in Unit 3, evolution also provides the storyline for the novel approach to presenting biological diversity in Unit 4, The Evolutionary History of Life. Focusing on landmark events in the history of life, Unit 4 highlights how key adaptations arose within groups of organisms and how evolutionary events led to today’s diversity of life.
3. Engage Students in Scientific Thinking
Helping students learn to “think like a scientist” is a primary goal of AP Biology. Students need to understand how to formulate and test hypotheses, design experiments, and interpret data. Scientific thinking and data interpretation skills top lists of learning outcomes and foundational skills desired for students entering higher-level courses. The Second Edition of Campbell BIOLOGY IN FOCUS, AP Edition, meets this need in several ways:
Scientific Skills Exercises in every chapter are correlated to the Framework’s Science Practices. Using real data, students will build skills, including data analysis, graphing, experimental design, and math skills. These exercises can also be assigned and automatically graded in MasteringBiology.
- New Interpret the Data Questions ask students to analyze a graph, figure, or table. These questions are also assignable in MasteringBiology.
- Scientific Inquiry Questions in the end-of-chapter material give students further opportunity to master Science Practices.
- Inquiry Figures and Research Method Figures reveal how we know what we know and model the process of scientific inquiry.
4. Use Outstanding Pedagogy to Aid Learning
Campbell BIOLOGY IN FOCUS, AP Edition, builds on our hallmarks of clear and engaging text and superior pedagogy to promote student learning:
- In each chapter, a framework of carefully selected Key Concepts helps students distinguish the “forest” from the “trees.” These Key Concepts focus on the Big Ideas and provide a context for the supporting details.
- Questions throughout the text catalyze learning by encouraging students to actively engage with and synthesize key material. Active learning questions include Concept Check Questions, Make Connections Questions, What If? Questions, Figure Legend Questions, Draw It Exercises, Summary Questions, and the new Synthesize Your Knowledge and Interpret the Data Questions.
- Test Your Understanding Questions at the end of each chapter are presented in standard AP Exam format and are organized into three levels based on Bloom’s Taxonomy.
5. Create Art and Animations That Teach
Biology is a visual science, and students learn from the art as much as the text. Therefore, we have developed our art and animations to teach with clarity and focus. Here are some of the ways our art and animations serve as superior teaching tools:
- The new Make Connections Figures help students make important connections across units, across levels of organization, and across the Framework’s Big Ideas.
- Each unit in Campbell BIOLOGY IN FOCUS, AP Edition, opens with a visual preview that tells the story of the chapters’ contents, showing how the material in the unit fits into a larger context.
- BioFlix® 3-D Animations help students visualize biology with movie-quality animations that can be shown in class and reviewed by students in the Study Area. BioFlix Tutorials use the animations as a jumping-off point for MasteringBiology coaching assignments with feedback.
- By integrating text, art, and photos, Exploring Figures help students access information efficiently.
- Guided Tour Figures use descriptions in blue type to walk students through complex figures as an instructor would, pointing out key structures, functions, and steps of processes.
- Because text and illustrations are equally important for learning biology, the page layouts are carefully designed to place figures together with their discussions in the text.
- PowerPoint® slides are painstakingly developed for optimum presentation in classrooms, with enlarged editable labels, art broken into steps, and links to animations and videos.
- Many Tutorials and Activities in MasteringBiology integrate art from the text, providing a unified learning experience.
MasteringBiology is the most widely used online assessment and tutorial program for biology, providing an extensive library of homework assignments that are graded automatically. Self-paced tutorials provide individualized coaching with specific hints and feedback on the most difficult topics in the course. In addition to the new tutorials already mentioned, MasteringBiology includes hundreds of online exercises that can be assigned. For example:
- The Scientific Skills Exercises from the text can be assigned and automatically graded in MasteringBiology.
- BioFlix® Tutorials use 3-D animations to help students master tough topics.
- Make Connections Tutorials help students connect what they are learning in one chapter with material they have learned in another chapter.
- BLAST Data Analysis Tutorials teach students how to work with real data from the BLAST database.
- Experimental Inquiry Tutorials allow students to replicate a classic biology experiment and learn the conceptual aspects of experimental design.
- Reading Quiz Questions and approximately 3,000 Test Bank Questions are available for assignment.
- AP® Exam-style Practice Questions that test student mastery of the Framework’s Learning Objectives and their companion Science Practices are assignable in MasteringBiology.
- Optional Adaptive Follow-up Assignments are based on each student’s performance on the original MasteringBiology assignment and provide additional coaching and practice.
Every assignment is automatically graded and entered into a gradebook. Instructors can check the gradebook to see what topics students are struggling with and then address those topics in class. MasteringBiology and the text work together to provide an unparalleled learning experience. For more information about MasteringBiology and to explore additional resources it provides, visit MasteringBiology.com.