Features and Benefits
Reach every student by pairing this text with MyLab Math
MyLab™ Math is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyLab personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student. Learn more about MyLab Math.
About the Book
Visualization and Conceptual Understanding
- NEW! Unifying the Function Feature — “Unifying the Function” appears after the introduction of each of the major classes of functions. It provides a concise summary of the 4-step analytic process that drives this text: Analyze the Graph, Solve an Equation, Solve an Inequality and Solve a Related Application.. Each instance of Unifying the Function has a corresponding video and is assignable in MyLab Math with accompanying assessment questions.
- NEW! GeoGebra® Graphing Calculator and Tutorials — Students can now launch GeoGebra’s online graphing utility from within their MyLab Math course.
Look for the GeoGebra icon next to relevant examples in the eText to launch a pop-up version, or download the free app to use while completing assignments.
Interactive, self-checking tutorials make it easy to get started with this dynamic tool.
Both resources are available within the Graphing Resources tab in MyLab Math.
- REVISED! Completely revamped Video Program with video assessment exercises check conceptual understanding of the mathematics.
NEW! Example Solution Videos engage and support students outside the classroom while covering key topics hand-picked by the authors. Lightboard technology creates a personal experience and simulates an in-class environment. Accompanying assessment questions in MyLab Math make these new videos assignable.
- NEW! Unifying the Function Videos, by contributor Jessica Rockswold, spotlight the 4-step analytic process applied to each function class and are assignable in MyLab Math.
- NEW! Question types in MyLab Math include drag & drop, video assessment exercises, Guided Visualization questions, plus Set up and Solve that require a higher level of decision making.
- Algebra Reviews in the text margins provide “just-in-time” review by referring students to where they can receive additional help with important topics from algebra.
- Pointers direct students to comments that include on-the-spot reminders and warnings about common pitfalls.
- Function Capsule boxes offer a comprehensive, visual introduction to each class of function and serve as an excellent resource for reference and review. Each capsule includes traditional and calculator graphs and a calculator table of values, as well as the domain, range, and other specific information about the function. Abbreviated versions of function capsules are provided on the inside back cover of the text.
- The What Went Wrong? feature anticipates typical errors that students make when using graphing technology and provides an avenue for instructors to highlight and discuss such errors. Answers are included on the same page as the “What Went Wrong?” boxes. Accompanying videos are available in the MyLab Math Multimedia Library.
- Cautions and Notes warn students of common errors and emphasize important ideas throughout the exposition.
- Looking Ahead to Calculus are margin notes that provide glimpses of how the algebraic topics currently being studied are used in calculus.
- Relating Concepts exercises appear in select exercise sets. They tie together topics and highlight relationships among various concepts and skills. All answers to these problems appear in the answer section at the back of the student book.
7th Edition Content Changes
- REVISED! Chapter 3 from the previous edition is now split into two chapters at the suggestion of reviewers.
- NEW! Data has been updated to increase student interest in mathematics. Some new application topics include organic food sales, video-on-demand, active Twitter™ users, wearable technology, U.S. Snapchat™ users and online gaming revenue.
- UPDATED! Nearly 500 updated or new exercises have been added.
Reach every student with MyLab
- Deliver trusted content: You deserve teaching materials that meet your own high standards for your course. That’s why we partner with highly respected authors to develop interactive content and course-specific resources that you can trust — and that keep your students engaged.
- Empower each learner: Each student learns at a different pace. Personalized learning pinpoints the precise areas where each student needs practice, giving all students the support they need — when and where they need it — to be successful.
Skill Builder offers adaptive practice that is designed to increase students’ ability to complete their assignments. By monitoring student performance on their homework, Skill Builder adapts to each student’s needs and provides just-in-time, in-assignment practice to help them improve their proficiency of key learning objectives.
Getting Ready material provides just-in-time review, integrated throughout the course as needed to prepare students with prerequisite material to succeed. From a quick quiz, a personalized, just-in-time review assignment is generated for each student, allowing them to refresh forgotten concepts.
With Personalized Homework, students take a quiz or test and receive a subsequent homework assignment that is personalized based on their performance. This way, students can focus on just the topics they have not yet mastered.
- Teach your course your way: Your course is unique. So whether you’d like to build your own assignments, teach multiple sections, or set prerequisites, MyLab gives you the flexibility to easily create your course to fit your needs.
Enhanced Sample Assignments by the authors make course set-up easier by giving instructors a starting point for each section. Each assignment, handpicked by the author to align with this text, includes a thoughtful mix of question types (e.g., conceptual, skills, etc.) specific to that topic.
- Improve student results: When you teach with MyLab, student performance improves. That’s why instructors have chosen MyLab for over 20 years, touching the lives of over 50 million students.