Explore all components of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English Language Arts (ELA). The first day emphasizes the implications of standards on ELA content, curriculum, and assessment. College and career readiness anchor standards for the four strands, and the progression and integration of the performance expectations within each strand are addressed. The second day focuses exclusively on reading and writing standards. Comprehension, text complexity, and informational texts are the highlights of the reading portion. The writing portion highlights the three genres emphasized by the CCSS, particularly Argument.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
• Describe the four strands included in the CCSS for ELA as well as key features of their progression and integration.
• Illustrate how the anchor standards progress for each strand.
• Reference Appendix B to model performance-based assessments.
• Explain the central importance of text complexity to the reading standards.
• Define the three writing genres specified by CCSS.
• Trace the development of Argument through the grade spans.
• Plan for the impact of the CCSS on content, instruction, and assessment.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 30
NUMBER OF DAYS: 2