The most comprehensive, up-to-date high school health science program
Principles of Health Science promotes better student understanding of careers, medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and diseases and disorders. Designed to build student reasoning, critical thinking, decision-making, problem-solving, and effective communication skills, the text provides students with an overview of the therapeutic, diagnostic, health informatics, support services, and biotechnology research and development systems of the health care industry. New features to this edition include coverage of bioterrorism and additional coverage of professionalism knowledge and skills to better prepare students for internships.
Extensive skills coverage prepares students to succeed as health care workers
Soft Skills and Clinical Skills A two-part organization introduces students first to the "soft skills" that all health care workers must learn to succeed, and then introduces students to essential clinical skills.
21st Century Skills
- Individual chapters on communication, ethics, teamwork, and leadership.
- Math Links, Science Links, and Language Arts Links enable students to apply health science skills and concepts to their core curriculum courses.
- Case Studies encourage students to think critically and apply unit concepts to real-life situations.
- Community activities direct students to ideas for applying their learning within the local community.
- Activities include expanded group role-playing, participatory practice, and peer interactions.
- Thinking Critically segments include new kinds of activities, including those related to patient satisfaction, patient advocacy, time management, and safety.
- Integrated computer- and Internet-oriented activities.
Career and Employability Skills
- Apply It activities help students experience real-world health care career situations.
- Career Connect features give teachers and students ideas for ways to interact with health care workers on the job.
- Career-Ready Practices have students use critical thinking to explore necessary skills required to become a career-ready individual.
- Portfolio Connection helps students develop a vocational portfolio to demonstrate job or higher education readiness.
- Portfolio Tips at the end of every chapter.
Healthcare and Knowledge Skills
- Charting Examples give enhanced documentation exposure.
- Standard Precautions are highlighted throughout to safeguard the health of both students and patients.
- One-hundred and sixty-six procedures integrated throughout Part II.
- Skills Check-off Sheets provide step-by-step instructions to help students perform Procedures correctly and competently.
Chapter design is streamlined to scaffold learning and assessment, and help make studying easier:
- Clear, simple, writing with current examples today's students relate to.
- Getting Started: an introduction that highlights the chapter concepts covered.
- Chapter Sections: each section includes background information and objectives identifying key skills.
- Vocabulary terms are highlighted and defined at point-of-use and in the glossary at the end of the book.
- Vibrant full color design helps visual learners with tables, charts, feature boxes, and hundreds of full-color photos and illustrations of concepts and procedures.
Teaching support exclusively designed for Texas
- Streamline course set-up, class prep, and instruction with a Digital eText.
- 24/7 access to Digital eTexts of the Teacher and Student editions, as well as accompanying Test Bank and PowerPoint files.
- One-click navigation to TEKS aligned content. Use the Digital eText, Student and Teacher Editions, to quickly jump from the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills standards (TEKS) directly to the content in the eText that fulfills that standard.
- Compatible with Thin Common Cartridge to facilitate single sign-on integration and rostering.
- Teacher's Wraparound Edition features the complete Student Edition, teaching notes, skills extensions, and customized instruction for more advanced, less advanced, special needs, at-risk, and ESOL students.