Prepares students with the knowledge and skills necessary for careers in animal science
Introduction to Livestock and Companion Animals, Fifth Edition, provides a solid foundation in animal anatomy, physiology, nutrition, health, reproduction, and biotechnology. Contemporary topics, including animal rights, cloning, global warming, and the role of animals in Homeland Security, connect animal agricultural topics to important trends in society. Practical connections—including information on the FFA and good citizenship—are addressed to meet the needs of today’s agriculture student.
Enhanced and updated features strengthen the fifth edition
- Additional coverage of non-food animals, content on veterinary technology, FFA, and issues in animal science.
- Biotechnology has been expanded.
- Content to meet state standards in biological science and animal courses has been enhanced.
- Highly aligned with the Performance Elements, Performance Indicators, and Measurement Statements at the I and II Levels in the Animal Systems Pathway.
- Additional detail on cattle, swine, and chickens.
- New references to the national standards for the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (AFNR) Career Cluster.
- Over 100 new photos help students observe animals and current practices.
Engage and inform students through real-world examples
- Connections features throughout apply chapter content in a practical, unusual, or scientific way.
- Photos and line art illustrate anatomy and biology information, chapter-related content, issues, and practices.
- Current issues covered throughout
- Career Profile features an occupation related to content of the chapter.
Review and assessment opportunities ensure students are on track
- Reviewing section provides a brief summary of chapter main ideas and review questions.
- Evaluating section features a matching activity.
- Exploring section provides multiple questions and activities to encourage critical thinking and application of chapter concepts and skills.
Streamline course set-up, class prep, and instruction with a Digital eText
- One-click navigation to TEKS aligned content. Use the Digital eText, Student and Teacher Editions, to quickly jump from the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills standards (TEKS) directly to the content in the eText that fulfills that standard.
- 24/7 access to Digital eTexts of the Teacher and Student editions, as well as accompanying Test Bank and PowerPoint files.
- Compatible with Thin Common Cartridge to facilitate single sign-on integration and rostering.
The Teacher’s Wraparound Edition provides essential support
The Teacher’s Wraparound Edition features chapter summaries, instructional objectives, interest approach sections, instructional strategies and teaching plans, review and evaluation procedures and re-teaching suggestions, safety reminders, recommendations for additional resources, and answers to questions.