Features and Benefits
Each chapter in the Tenth Edition is organized around a manageable framework of three to six Key Concepts that provide the context for supporting details, helping students distinguish the forest from the trees.
The Key Concepts at the beginning of the chapter orient students to the main ideas of the chapter.
Numbered Concept Heads keep students focused on the main ideas as they move through the chapter and make it easy for instructors to assign selected sections.
Concept Check Questions at the end of each section provide a hierarchical framework for self-assessment.
The Summary of Key Concepts, which includes summary diagrams and questions, refocuses students on the main points.
Make Connections: The Tenth Edition helps students make connections across biology topics.
- NEW! Make Connections Figures pull together content from different chapters and provide a visual representation of “big picture” relationships.
- Make Connections Questions ask students to relate the content of a chapter to what they learned earlier in the course.
- Make Connections Tutorials in MasteringBiology® connect content from two different chapters using art from the book.
- NEW! Synthesize Your Knowledge Questions at the end of the chapter ask students to apply their understanding of the chapter content to explain an intriguing photo.
Scientific Inquiry Skills: The Tenth Edition teaches scientific skills in every chapter and engages students in scientific inquiry, revealing “how we know what we know” and helping students develop their critical-thinking and inquiry skills and revealing "how we know what we know."
- NEW! Scientific Skills Exercises in every chapter use real data to build key skills needed for biology, including data analysis, graphing, experimental design, and math skills. All 56 Scientific Skills Exercises have assignable, interactive versions in MasteringBiology.
- NEW! Interpret the Data Questions throughout the text ask students to analyze a graph, figure, or table. These questions can be assigned in MasteringBiology.
- Inquiry Figures help students understand the experimental basis of biological knowledge and provide a model of how to think like a scientist.
- Research Method Figures illustrate important techniques in biology.
- Scientific Inquiry Questions at the end of each chapter give students more opportunities to practice thinking like a scientist.
- Eight interviews with renowned researchers inspire students and show them the human side of science. The new Tenth Edition interviews feature Venki Ramakrishnan, Haifan Lin, Charles Rotimi, Hopi Hoekstra, Nicole King, Jeffery Dangl, Ulrike Heberlein, and Monica Turner.
Genomics: The Tenth Edition explores the impact of genomics across biology. Throughout the Tenth Edition, new examples show students how our ability to sequence DNA and proteins rapidly and inexpensively is transforming every subfield of biology, from cell biology to physiology to ecology.
- NEW! The basic steps of gene expression are now shown in Chapter 1 so that, from the very beginning of their study of biology, students have an understanding of how genes determine the characteristics of an organism.
- NEW! Chapter 5 concludes with a new concept, “Genomics and proteomics have transformed biological inquiry and applications,” which includes a new Make Connections Figure, “Contributions of Genomics and Proteomics to Biology.”
- NEW! Throughout the Tenth Edition, new examples show how biology is being revolutionized by DNA and protein sequence analysis.
Evolution: The core theme of evolution is emphasized throughout the Tenth Edition.
- Chapter 1 introduces the fundamental theme of evolution in biology.
- Every chapter includes at least one Evolution section that explicitly focuses on evolutionary aspects of the chapter material.
- Every chapter ends with an Evolution Connection Question that asks students to think critically about how an aspect of the chapter relates to evolution.
- Unit 4 provides in-depth coverage of evolutionary mechanisms, while Unit 5 explores the diversity of life in an evolutionary framework.
Art: Carefully crafted figures help visual learners understand complex structures and processes and organize material into a clear hierarchy of ideas.
- NEW! Make Connections Figures help overcome students’ tendencies to compartmentalize information by reinforcing deeper conceptual connections throughout biology.
- Visual Organizers highlight the hierarchy of information in multipart figures.
- Exploring Figures help students access information efficiently by integrating text and visuals.
- Guided Tour diagrams walk students through a figure as an instructor would.
- In carefully selected figures, a three-dimensional art style helps students visualize biological structures.
- Figure legend questions prompt students to delve into a figure.
Online Homework: MasteringBiology® is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts. Students benefit from self-paced tutorials that feature immediate wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience. All assignments are automatically graded and entered into a powerful gradebook. For more information, see the description of MasteringBiology under “eLearning & Assessment.”
- Assessment: Campbell BIOLOGYand MasteringBiology work together to help your students succeed.
- MasteringBiology Reading Quizzes motivate the students to read the text prior to class.
- Scientific Skills Exercises and Interpret the Data questions in the text help students build key skills in biology. These exercises and questions are also assignable in MasteringBiology.
- Concept Check questions, What If Questions, Make Connection questions, Draw It questions, figure legend questions, multiple-choice questions, and short-answer essay questions in the text help students assess their own learning.
- Clicker Questions promote active learning in class.
- MasteringBiology tutorials, activities, and questions reinforce learning before and after class.
Fred and Theresa Holtzclaw authors of the Test Prep Workbook for AP® Biology and the Pearson Active Reading Guide presented "Help Your Students Succeed in AP Biology" workshop at NABT 2013.
Check out some of the items they spoke about at NABT this past year!