This one-day workshop provides participants with an opportunity to explore components of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Grades 6–12 reading and writing in science and technical subjects. Participants explore the CCSS’ emphasis on a framework for teaching and learning that supports college and career readiness. They also focus on instructional practices and strategies for teaching science content that integrates reading and writing CCSS literacy standards into classroom instruction. Instructional reading and writing strategies for content and scientific investigations include note taking, concept mapping, and lab investigations around energythemed lesson topics.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
• Identify the domains and concept categories included in the 6–12 standards for science and technical subjects.
• Connect these 6–12 standards to inquiry-based instructional practices.
• Identify and use CCSS instructional strategies presented around relevant lesson topics of interest.
• Distinguish between inauthentic and authentic reading and writing tasks in the science classroom.
• Connect scientific lab investigation formats to research report formats and rubrics used in lab reports and literature reviews.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 30
NUMBER OF DAYS: 1