This one-day workshop examines the content shifts by grade level for the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) with an emphasis on ratios and proportional relationships. Participants explore the changes in the language and focus of the new standards. They examine how to use existing resources to help students meet the expectations for the content domains of the Common Core.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
• Articulate the learning progressions necessary for students to conceptually understand ratios and proportional relationships.
• Identify strategies for helping students build their mathematical understanding of ratios and proportional relationships.
• Use a planning template to build lessons that strategically support the conceptual development of ratios and proportional relationships.
• Identify strategies that support simultaneous development of conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills with the intentional use of purposeful student struggle, flexible grouping, and ongoing assessments.
• Articulate common misconceptions as opportunities for students’ conceptual understanding of ratios and proportional relationships.
TARGET AUDIENCE: 6–12 Educators
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 30
NUMBER OF DAYS: 1