Features and Benefits
This program is designed for algebra-based introductory statistics courses. It’s readable, approachable text helps high school students understand and enjoy reading about statistics—and understand how they apply in the real world.
- Leads with practical data analysis and graphics, encouraging students to “do statistics” and “think statistically” from the start
- Uses real-world examples wherever possible to engage students
- Includes the most common mistakes in statistical thinking to help students avoid errors.
- Includes extensive exercise sets that feature applied concepts to help validate students’ ability to think statistically, rather than simply produce an answer
- Follows a tiered exercise approach to differentiate instruction
- Features articles from Time, Newsweek, and the New York Times to demonstrate the application of statistics in the real world
- Provides a Teacher’s Resource Guide with Worksheets, including extra examples, tips on how to teach the content, and fully worked problems
The course is available in MathXL® for School
, the online homework, tutorial, and assessment supplement, and MyMathLab® for School
, the fully digital course complete with eText, online assignments, multimedia, and more. Visit mathxlforschool.com
for more information.
What’s NEW to this edition?
- Chapter 1 (and beyond). Now Chapter 1 gets down to business immediately, looking at data. Other chapters lead with new, up-to-the-minute, motivating examples and follow through with analyses of the data and new examples that provide a basis for sample problems and exercises.
- Common Core Math. Content has been updated to include all Common Core Math topics. Icons at the start of many sections identify the specific standards addressed there.
- Revised chapter-ending study guides. This overview help students review the key concepts and terms via What Have We Learned?
- Multiple choice. We’ve introduced multiple-choice exercises in each chapter to help students better prepare for tests.
- Updated examples, exercises, and data. The new edition features hundreds of new exercises and updated continuing exercises with the most recent data.
- Innovative Think/Show/Tell Step-by-Step examples. These features have been updated with new contexts and data.
- Real-world examples and exercises. Content is based on recent news stories, research articles, and other real-world sources. We’ve listed many of those sources so students can explore them further.
- Updated TI Tips. Each chapter’s easy-to-read “TI Tips”now show students how to use TI-84 Plus statistics functions with the StatWizard operating system.