Built for success
Engaging applications and elegant writing show the relevance of physics.
▪ Concrete applications, observations, and experiences that students can relate to demonstrate how useful physics is in everyday life as well as in professions such as biology, medicine, and architecture.
▪ Physics Applied margin notes highlight the varied and frequent applications in the text. The writing style is concise and elegant, using an economy of words to describe physics accurately and precisely.
Proven pedagogy guides students through common misconceptions to teach important problem solving skills.
▪ NEW! Chapter-Opening Questions, at the start of each chapter, help identify preconceived notions that students might have before they read the chapter.
▪ NEW! MisConceptual Questions are multiple-choice questions, at the end of each chapter, that address common student misconceptions.
▪ NEW! Search and Learn Problems at the end of each chapter encourage students to reread part of the text.
▪ Worked Examples include consistent problem solving strategies with Approach, Solution, and Note steps.
▪ Problem Solving Strategies throughout the book outline step-by-step approaches to get students to think about the problem at hand and develop consistent problem-solving skills.
▪ Conceptual Examples feature brief Socratic questions intended to stimulate students to respond before they read the Response given.
▪ Estimate Examples develop skills for making order-of-magnitude estimates.
▪ Problem Solving margin notes offer problem solving hints where needed most.
MasteringPhysics from Pearson is a powerful, yet simple, online homework, tutorial, and assessment system designed to improve student learning and results. Student’s benefit from specific wrong-answer feedback, hints, and a huge variety of educationally effective content while unrivaled gradebook diagnostics allow instructors to pinpoint the weaknesses and misconceptions of their class.