Features and Benefits
Cover important automotive topics in a student-friendly format
- Present topics in short, easy-to-read chapters. Automotive Technology makes teaching and learning easier by breaking the content into small, manageable segments. It features twice as many chapters as competitive texts so that a topic or an entire short chapter can be assigned and taught instead of assigning individual page numbers or questions.
- Explain how to diagnose faults. In addition to explaining how a system works, most chapters include diagnostic procedures and the steps needed to troubleshoot faults.
- Demonstrate how automotive systems are connected. The theory, construction, diagnosis, and service of a particular component or system are presented together, in one location. All of the information that students need to understand a topic is included when it is presented, so there is no need to search through the book for other references to the same topic.
- UPDATED: Deliver the most up-to-date standards content. All content in the book has been updated and correlated to the latest NATEF tasks and ASE areas.
Bring the subject to life and facilitate learning
- Engaging art programs support today’s visual learner
- UPDATED! Visualize concepts with full-color photos and line drawings. Over 100 all-new photos and line drawings complement the text. The photos show the actual parts involved so that the student can view a good or defective part. The line drawings allow the reader to see what is inside a component and how it works.
- UPDATED! Break a task down using step-by-step photos. Many new, step-by-step photo sequences detail the steps involved in performing a specific task or service procedure.
- Make reading, studying, and content mastery easier. Every chapter includes bulleted and numbered lists to summarize concepts or the steps in a procedure, while the design for main and sub-headings makes it easier to grasp the scope of the chapter. Finally, each chapter ends with a Summary, Review Questions, and a Quiz. Answers to chapter questions can be found in the Instructor’s Manual.
- Help students prepare for their professional career
- Prepare for the ASE Certification exam. ASE test correlation charts and NATEF task correlation charts are provided in the Instructor’s Manual. The textbook and workbook page numbers are listed in the NATEF correlation guides to make learning and teaching easier.
- Provide learning goals based on NATEF tasks. Each chapter opens with a list of Learning Objectives based on specific NATEF tasks.
Illustrate important concepts using real-world examples
- Offer the perspective of a technician and automotive instructor. The author delivers the point-of-view of a technician and automotive instructor rather than an engineer, technical writer, or salesperson.
- Present real situations. Real World Fix boxes present students with actual service scenarios and show how the problems were diagnosed and repaired.
- Alert students to potential safety hazards. Safety Tips alert students to possible hazards on the job.
- Give practical advice. Tech Tips offer real-world advice from ASE-certified master technicians.
- Answer Frequently Asked Questions. Based on the author’s own experience, FAQs provide answers to questions often asked by students and beginning service technicians.
Guide students through on-the-job situations with practical advice
- Give students a greater understanding of a specific task. Notes provide additional technical information.
- Limit potential damage to the vehicle. Cautions alert students to potential damage to the vehicle that can occur during a specific service procedure.
- Limit potential harm to the technician. Warnings alert students to potential harm that may occur to the technician during a specific service procedure.
Keep your course current with information on the latest technologies
- NEW: Electric vehicles (EV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) content is added to Chapter 91.
- NEW:R-1234yf refrigerant information is included in Chapter 62. This new technology is just now entering the market in selected makes and models of vehicle.
- NEW: Content covering the Chrysler/Fiat Multi-air system is included to Chapter 81. Just one vehicle manufacturer uses this unique type of fuel injection system.
- NEW:D3EA and BEEP aftermarket brake standards content is now included in Chapter 101. This information helps the reader understand the distinctions between original equipment specifications and aftermarket specifications.
- NEW: Evacuation routes and infection control precautions information is added to Chapter 6.
- NEW: Stop/start systems operation information is added to Chapter 52.
- NEW: Permanent diagnostic trouble code information is included in Chapter 88.
- NEW: Carbon-ceramic brake (CCB) rotor information is added to Chapter 104.
- NEW: Inductive heating tool operation and usage information is added to Chapter 117.
- NEW:Pull-type release bearing content is included in Chapter 121.
- NEW:End play/preload checks is added to Chapter 122.
- NEW: New content on pin and rocker-type (rocker joint-type) chains is added to Chapter 126.
- NEW:Checking fluid level without a dipstick information is added to Chapter 129.
Support teaching and learning
- Supplement your course with a full instructor support package. To make teaching from this text easier, textbook adopters have access to a TestGen computerized Test Bank and presentation slides.
- Get up and running quickly using the Instructor’s Manual. The Instructor’s Manual contains Sample Syllabus, NATEF Task List, Chapter Outline, and Answers to chapter questions. Use the additional teaching notes keyed to the textbook page numbers to help you prepare to discuss, review, preview, and reinforce important content.
- Bundle with the ASE Test Prep Guide or the NATEF Correlated Task Sheets. Contact your Pearson Representative to find out how your students can save when you bundle the ASE Test Prep Guide and NATEF Correlated Task Sheets workbook.
Also available with MyAutomotiveLab®
This title is also available with MyAutomotiveLab—an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with Automotive Technology to engage students and improve results. We’ve improved MyAutomotiveLab to better reflect the way instructors teach today. Now organized by ASE area, the new, easier-to-use design makes creating and personalizing assignments more intuitive and includes a new assignment calendar, which helps you document your students' progress.
- NEW!Prepare students for the ASE exam. Students can complete full-length, automatically-graded tests for each ASE area. A total of 300 ASE-style questions are available to help students get ready for the ASE exam.
- NEW! Easily align your course to NATEF standards.Within MyAutomotiveLab chapters are organized by both topic and NATEF task alignment, allowing you to easily identify and assign homework and content. Simply toggle between the topic/NATEF task views to select the material you want to cover in your course.
- UPDATED! Quickly diagnose your students’ comprehension. Automatically-graded Pre-Tests give students immediate feedback. Depending on where they need help, students can then utilize animations and videos activities to learn and practice the content they did not master.
- NEW!Explain difficult skills and concepts using Video Activities.To promote student success, 250+ detailed videos use voice-over explanations and instructional tips to demonstrate skills and concepts. Follow-up questions assess the student’s understanding of the concepts.
- UPDATED! Build practical skills that prepare students for shop and their future career. Students can practice the important task of identifying tools and parts using interactive drag-and-drop Labeling Activities. Rather than simply memorizing a list of tools and parts, these rich, visual activities give students a meaningful learning experience.
- UPDATED! Gauge your students’ progress. After your students have completed the Pre-Test and followed up with the animations and videos, they can take a Post-Test—an automatically-graded, end-of-chapter snapshot of students’ progress and understanding.
- NEW!Improve critical-thinking skills with Diagnostic Practice. Diagnostic assessments challenge students to use their critical-thinking skills as they analyze the customer’s complaint, diagnose the problem, and select the appropriate repair
- UPDATED! Easily create and assign chapter quizzes and Tests within MyAutomotiveLab. Pre-populated test bank questions in MyAutomotiveLab are mapped by chapter and NATEF standards making it easier than ever for instructors to create and assign a quiz or test. Student grades are automatically reported to the MyAutomotiveLab gradebook.