Features and Benefits
A realistic blueprint for thriving and succeeding in culinary school and beyond.
- Coverage of a broad range of study skills, career development strategies, and industry expectations will yield the ultimate goal—success in the culinary field.
- Part One covers important study skills and student success strategies. A variety of techniques for maximizing one’s education—from effective study skills to library usage, to time management and ethical behavior—help students become better students, and graduates more likely to earn top jobs in the industry.
- NEW: A new discussion on environmental stewardship concerns for chefs helps readers understand the chef’s connection to the farmer and how to be responsible environmental stewards through recycling, composting, and waste management (Chapter 1).
- UPDATED: An expanded section on using the internet effectively for research helps students learn to evaluate sources properly for bias and use internet instructional videos for their own skill advancement (Chapter 6).
- Part Two shows how to improve your marketability while in school. These chapters discuss how to align credentials with industry expectations, create a positive work and volunteer history, develop networking skills, and stand out from the crowd of culinary graduates.
- NEW: A new discussion on how to use social media for self-marketing helps students learn how to enhance their professional image online while avoiding common pitfalls that can jeopardize their ability to secure a quality job (Chapter 15).
- Part Three includes career development chapters. These chapters focus on how to prepare for job interviews, get promoted, get certified, and engage in lifelong learning, so graduates get the best jobs and continue to advance to become industry leaders.
- UPDATED: Additional career path options for culinary professionals ensure that all graduates find a job they find rewarding (Chapter 16).
- NEW: An explanation of how to create a professional portfolio teaches students to highlight their culinary skills and enhance their ability to secure a quality job (Chapter 19).
- UPDATED: Updated certification requirements outline what it takes to get certified so students can work toward a professional certification even while in school (Chapter 21).
- NEW: A discussion of the impact of changing technology on the industry motivates readers to continue a pattern of lifelong learning to remain current in their skills and knowledge (Chapter 22).
- Each part opens with motivational chapters to encourage readers to engage in extensive self-development and credential-building in school and beyond.
- UPDATED: End-of-chapter suggested tasks encourage readers to go out in the field to conduct research, engage in self-reflection, and set goals. Updated and enhanced Suggested Tasks provide greater ability for instructors to incorporate the tasks into their class activities and for students to more easily gain personally relevant knowledge and skills they can use right away.
- UPDATED: Interviews with chefs, students, teachers, industry professionals, and recent culinary school graduates are included in every chapter. Over 100 current interviews give students the most up-to-date industry perspectives on how to succeed in the field.