Features and Benefits
The text blends career goals and expected workplace relations throughout, emphasizing three pillars for professional success: life planning, workplace skills, and career planning.
Life Planning offers enhanced learning outcomes, in-chapter exercises, and end-of-chapter activities to support Bloom’s Taxonomy and help students think critically about their life and career goals.
- NEW! Summary words and revised learning outcomes provide introduction to topic and content focus. (Ex. - Beginning of chapter)
- NEW! In-chapter exercises have been updated throughout including changing Cory stories, Topic Situation and Topic Response case studies, Web Searches, “Think About It” and “Talk About It” discussion and reflection questions promote discussion, provide a means for topic clarification, and immediate application of content. (Ex.- Throughout the chapter)
- NEW! Enhanced end-of-chapter Concept Review and Application section reinforces student learning by providing hands-on application of topic content. These include Workplace Do’s and Don’ts, Summary of Key Concepts, Key Terms (set up as a Self-Quiz to be matched with definitions), Think Like a Boss, and new/revised End of Chapter Activities (Ex. - End of chapter)
- How-Do-You-Rate? Assessments provide students an introduction to the chapter topic through brief, fun, and realistic applications. (Ex. – Beginning of chapter)
Workplace Skills provide new and enhanced content to address employer concerns related to millennial and reentry students.
- NEW! Personal branding content and increased focus on quality and accountability helps students recognize the importance of immediately creating a personal brand and integrating professional behaviors that represent that brand. (Ex. - Chapters 1 & 7)
- NEW! Discussion on student loans, cash management, and online protection on identity theft addresses personal finance issues today’s students face (Ex. - Chapter 2)
- REVISED! Increased discussion, examples, and case studies on communication/technology using etiquette addresses employer concerns that today’s students lack basic communication, spelling, and grammatical skills and are too reliant on communication devices. (Ex. - Chapters 9-10)
Career Planning features revised career planning to address current market conditions.
- NEW! Key topics have been reordered, including completion of accomplishments worksheet, writing of career objective/personal profile, and personal commercial streamlines the process and better identifies key skill sets. (Ex. - Chapters 13-15)
- NEW! New and enhanced checklists for job search tools and processes ensure students include/address key elements necessary for the job search portfolio, interview portfolio, interview preparation, and post-interview activities. (Ex. - Chapters 13-15)
- NEW! Advanced Skill Set Résumé Format provides a résumé format for those with extensive career experience. This contemporary format highlights, communicates, and sells specific job skills and work accomplishments, and replaces the chronological format. (Ex. - Chapter 14)