Features and Benefits
Reach every student by pairing this text with Mastering Chemistry
Mastering™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted author content with digital tools developed to engage students and emulate the office-hour experience, Mastering personalizes learning and improves results for each student. The fully integrated and complete media package allows instructors to engage students before they come to class, hold them accountable for learning during class, and then confirm that learning after class Learn more about Mastering Chemistry.
Actively engage students in learning chemistry
- New - 16 Key Concept Videos for a total of 74 combine artwork from the textbook with 2D and 3D animations to create a dynamic on-screen viewing and learning experience. These short videos include narration and brief live-action clips of author Nivaldo Tro, explaining the key concepts in general chemistry to give students the foundation they need. Students interact when the video stops and poses a question that they must answer before continuing. Each video also includes a follow-up question that is assignable in Mastering Chemistry.
- Newly Interactive - Conceptual Connections allow students to interact with all conceptual connections within the Pearson eText, allowing students to study on their own and test their understanding in real-time. Complete with answer-specific feedback written by the author himself, these interactives help students extinguish misconceptions and deepen their understanding of important topics, making reading an active experience.
- New - 24 Interactive Worked Examples for a total of 125 are digital versions of select worked examples from the text that instruct students how to break down problems using Tro’s “Sort, Strategize, Solve, and Check” technique. The Interactive Worked Examples pause in the middle and require the student to interact by completing a step in the example. Each example has a follow-up question that is assignable in Mastering Chemistry.
Help students move from novice to expert problem-solvers
- New - Ready-to-Go Study Tools in the Mastering Chemistry Study Area help students master the toughest topics (as identified by professors and fellow students completing homework and practicing for exams). Key Concept Videos, Interactive Worked Examples, and problem sets with answer-specific feedback are all in one easy to navigate place to keep students focused and give them the scaffolded support they need to succeed.
- New - Missed This? featureappears in the end-of-chapter Self Assessment Quizzes and each odd-numbered Problems by Topic exercise. Missed This? provides sections to read and videos to watch to help students remediate where necessary.
- Tro’s four-step “Sort, Strategize, Solve, and Check” problem-solving approach in the worked examples helps students connect the chemistry concepts to the problem and to its solution by developing an explicit conceptual plan for each problem. This method helps students understand where to start a problem and to think through the solution rather than simply formula hunting based on the given information.
- New - 64 For Practice problems in the Pearson eText provide wrong-answer feedback and links that direct students to correlating places in the eText and media.
Empower students to visualize and understand chemistry
- New Chapter 5 creates more topically-focused coverage—Chemical Reactions and Solutions have been divided into two separate chapters (now Chapters 4 and 5): one on chemical reactions (including stoichiometry), and another on solutions (including aqueous reactions). This new organization allows a sharper focus in each chapter and reduces the cognitive load for students.
- Multipart images include symbolic, macroscopic, and molecular perspectives that are fundamental to visualizing and understanding chemistry.
- Extensively updated art program better directs students’ attention to key elements in the art and promotes understanding of the processes depicted. Dozens of figures in the 5th Edition were reviewed by learning design specialists to ensure they are clearly navigable for students and now include more helpful annotations and labels to help readers focus on key concepts.Tro’s multipart images help students see the relationship between the formulas they write down on paper (symbolic), the world they see around them (macroscopic), and the atoms and molecules that compose the world (molecular).
- Abundant molecular-level views show students the connection between everyday processes visible to the eye and the behavior of atoms and molecules.
Reach every student with Mastering
Teach your course your way: Your course is unique. So whether you’d like to build your own auto-graded assignments, foster student engagement during class, or give students anytime, anywhere access, Mastering gives you the flexibility to easily create your course to fit your needs.
- With Learning Catalytics, you’ll hear from every student when it matters most. You pose a variety of questions that help students recall ideas, apply concepts, and develop critical-thinking skills. Your students respond using their own smartphones, tablets, or laptops. You can monitor responses with real-time analytics and find out what your students do — and don’t —understand. Then, you can adjust your teaching accordingly, and even facilitate peer-to-peer learning, helping students stay motivated and engaged. Learning Catalytics includes prebuiltquestionsfor every key topic in General Chemistry.
- Ready-to-Go Teaching Modules provide organized material for every tough topic in General Chemistry. Created for and by instructors, the modules provide a guide for easy-to-use assignments for before and after class plus in-class activities with clicker questions and questions in Learning Catalytics™. Modules can be easily accessed via Mastering Chemistry. New- Ready-to-Go Study Tools are available for students to use on their own, even when their professor doesn’t assign the modules.
- Pearson eText is a simple-to-use, mobile-optimized, personalized reading experience available within Mastering. It allows students to easily highlight, take notes, and review key vocabulary all in one place—even when offline. Seamlessly integrated videos and other rich media engage students and give them access to the help they need, when they need it. Pearson eText is available within Mastering when packaged with a new book; students can also purchase Mastering with Pearson eText online.
Empower each learner: Each student learns at a different pace.
Personalized learning, including adaptive tools and wrong-answer feedback,
pinpoints the precise areas where each student needs practice and gives all
students the support they need — when and where they need it — to be
- The Chemistry Primer helps students remediate their chemistry math skills and prepare for their first college chemistry course.
- Pre-built Assignments get students up to speed at the beginning of the course.
- Math is covered in the context of chemistry, basic chemical literacy, balancing chemical equations, mole theory, and stoichiometry.
- Scaled to students’ needs, remediation is only suggested to students that perform poorly on initial assessment.
- Remediation includes tutorials, wrong-answer specific feedback, video instruction, and stepwise scaffolding to build students’ abilities.
- Dynamic Study Modules help students study effectively—and at their own pace. How? By keeping them motivated and engaged. The assignable modules rely on the latest research in cognitive science, using methods—such as adaptivity, gamification, and intermittent rewards—to stimulate learning and improve retention. Each module poses a series of questions about a course topic or about a topic specific to the text. These question sets adapt to each student’s performance and offer personalized, targeted feedback to help them master key concepts.
- Interactive Simulations cover difficult chemistry concepts. Written by leading authors in simulation development, they foster student understanding of chemistry and clearly illustrate cause-and-effect relationships, such as electrolysis, kinetic molecular theory, stoichiometry, and calorimetry.
Deliver trusted content: We partner with highly respected authors to develop interactive content and course-specific resources that keep students on track and engaged.
- New - 16 Key Concept Videos for a total of 74 videos that combine artwork from the textbook with 2D and 3D animations to create a dynamic on-screen viewing and learning experience. These short videos include narration and brief live-action clips of author Nivaldo Tro explaining every key concept in general chemistry.
- New - 24 new Interactive Worked Examples for a total of 125 add to the digital versions of select worked examples from the text that make Tro’s unique problem-solving strategies interactive. These digital versions instruct students how to break down problems using Tro’s “Sort, Strategize, Solve, and Check” technique. Like the Key Concept Videos, Interactive Worked Examples stop in the middle and force the student to interact by completing a step in the example. The examples also have a follow-up question that is assignable in Mastering Chemistry.
- Updated - Data Interpretation and Analysis Problems help students build skills in analyzing and interpreting data. Now more easily Assignable in Mastering Chemistry, this new category of questions called Data Interpretation and Analysis questions uses real data from real life situations to ask students to analyze, interpret and interact with data, providing practice in reading graphs, digesting tables, and making data-driven decisions.
- New - Learning Objective Tagging maps tutorials, end of chapter problems, sections and figures from the book and other instructional content in Mastering for the general chemistry course. A new view of the content in Mastering clusters content together so instructors can easily select a 'group of problems' and rich media and see how assigned content works together to meet learning objectives.
Improve student results: When you teach with Mastering, student performance often improves. That’s why instructors have chosen Mastering for over 15 years, touching the lives of over 20 million students. Learn more in this efficacy report.