Written by best-selling author Janet Burroway, this text covers all four genres: creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, and drama.
- The top-down organization addresses elements of craft (Image, Voice, Character, Setting, and Story) in the first part of the text while the second part explores specific genres (Creative Nonfiction, Fiction, Poetry, and Drama).
- This unique organization and format allows students to experiment with creative techniques before deciding which form best suits their imagination and helps them understand the various techniques shared by all forms of imaginative writing.
- Integrated readings from talented and renowned writers illustrate the chapter topics.
- Provocative and fun, “Try This” exercises help students develop the specific writing skills discussed within the text.
- Compelling images open each chapter and include warm-up activities.
- An appendix outlines the basic elements of Prosody (the study of versification), including the major units of sound and meter, the principles of rhyme, and common stanza patterns.