An emphasis on reading and writing as inter-dependant processes offers a balanced approach to literacy and builds critical thinking skills. Students are led to raise questions, consider multiple perspectives, gather, analyze, and assess information as they apply new knowledge and reflect for self-improvement.
The text offers several levels of learning through assignments that create realistic writing situations as students respond to topics and situations relevant to “Everyday Life,” “College Life,” and “Working Life,” that span various patterns of organization and genres. In addition, students have ample practice in reading and writing to:
- Clarify an author’s purpose
- Assess supporting details
- Evaluate the impact of word choices
- Develop logical inferences and conclusions
- Identify and analyze sources
- Read closely and write meaningfully