The DK Readers are a multilevel series of high-interest books designed to capture young readers' imaginations while developing their reading skills and general knowledge. This series is intended for a variety of reading proficiencies and is divided into the following levels:
- Pre-level 1 (Learning to Read) High-frequency words, picture word strips, and labels to introduce and reinforce vocabulary.
- Level 1 (Beginning to Read) Word repetition, limited vocabulary and simple sentences, and picture dictionary boxes.
- Level 2 (Beginning to Read Alone) Longer sentences and increased vocabulary. Information boxes full of extra fun facts.
- Level 3 (Reading Alone) More complex sentence structure. Information boxes and alphabetical glossary.
- Level 4 (Proficient Readers) Rich vocabulary and challenging sentence structure, additional information, and alphabetical glossary.